Diet BOINC is a
module for BOINC screen
Diet BOINC is a no-graphics, lightweight alternative XScreenSaver
for the boinscr screen saver.
Depending on your setup, BOINC's default screen saver, boincscr,
may not work
as expected in Linux. Reports vary as to exact cause but the
reasons seem to be
either/or a combination of:
- incompatible graphics libraries
- running the command line (boinc_client) instead of the full
- exotic BOINC setup so boincscr has trouble finding BOINC
Diet BOINC largely avoids these limitations. Diet
- explicitly avoids libraries not included with default Linux
- is no-graphics, none are used beyond what XScreenSaver is
- looks only for BOINC data, not the client which creates it
- attempts to find your BOINC data without anticipating a
If the Boinscr module in XScreenSaver is showing
a black screen with the words 'boinc not running'
Diet BOINC may be able to replace it with this:
It's sufficient that you have boinscr installed and that
XScreenSaver recognizes it as a valid module. If
otherwise not "working right" it should be possible for
Diet BOINC to replace it and run correctly.
- CentOS/Red Hat Linux
- Ubuntu Linux
- Other Linux
may be able to install manually (see
installation instructions for help)
must be installed and running correctly
- boincscr, as installed either by your Linux distro or directly from
must be already installed (see installation
instructions for help)
Diet BOINC is written in Python
2.x (included with most Linux flavors)
If you meet these requirements,
- Diet BOINC will replace your default boincscr
module as seen by XScreenSaver
(no worries, Diet BOINC backs it up first if
you use the installation script).
- The XScreenSaver menu options for the Bioncscr module will
no longer be required.
Diet BOINC is very basic and requires no extra
- Diet BOINC can find results from more than one BOINC client
(including a BOINC for
Windows client) if monitored over a
- Diet BOINC can monitor a BOINC client running more than one
@Home project via
resource sharing (see the @Home project(s) for
details on resource sharing).
Download Diet BOINC
Share this on witter or acebook.
It is purely optional...you may use
Diet BOINC forever and a day at no cost, but
if you would like to contribute something for Diet BOINC, it
encourage me in developing future projects and distributing them
through similar channels.
To contribute, just choose Paypal or bitcoin.
(C) 2015 P. K. Carlisle LLC. Not
affiliated with BOINC or the XScreenSaver project. June 27,
This program is free software: you can redistribute it
and/or modify it under the terms of the
GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation, either version 3
of the License, or (at your option) any later
version. This program is distributed in the hope
that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;
without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
See the GNU General Public License for more